Sunday, April 21, 2019

Dividing a Receding Plane into Three Parts


Two of my students decided to draw Rubik's Cubes for their perspective/shading assignment. Dividing a receding plane into fours is easy, but threes were another matter altogether. I quickly realized I had no idea how to do it.

Lucky for me, my students are from many different specialty areas, including engineering and economics. Those people are very good at problems like this, and a couple of days after I asked the question in class, a very nice young man named Dillon provided me with several computer drawings he had made. All of them solved the problem, each in a slightly different way.

This is my drawing of one of his examples. I keep getting lost in all the relationships contained in this little cube. Seems like magic to me.


No comments: