Thursday, July 25, 2019

Schizzle happens


  Well. We were on the press, washed out, rolled up and ready to print, and on the first crank, nothing moved. The press was inexplicably frozen and wouldn't turn the gears. The woman in the photo is our excellent teacher Rebekah the Unflappable, who proceeded to take apart the press to see what could be the trouble. She cheerfully proclaimed that this was a good opportunity to see what to do in case the press breaks.
    But, even though printmaking is problem solving, it is going to take more than a bunch of artists to solve this problem. Fortunately, the Cleveland Institute of Art has volunteered to let us use their presses tomorrow so we can finish our work. 
     During the downtime, I got to visit the Museum of Contemporary Art. One of the exhibits, by Lee Mingwei, included a bank of cut flowers which visitors were supposed to take with them and give to a stranger. I wish I had taken a picture of the bank instead of this, but there it is. When I approached a stranger outside the building, he clearly thought I was going to ask for money, but when I told him I got the flower from the museum and was directed to gift it to someone I didn't know, his face broke into a big smile. Totally worth the trip.


   

No comments: