Monday, July 25, 2011

Pochoir


I'm telling you, synchronous events keep happening. I was very lucky to see the Mucha exhibit in Taipei this month. It was an enormous, wonderful display of his lithos. I had my craft eyes on, and I didn't see any mistakes. Mucha was a master draftsman, and I don't know if he did his own lithos, but that work was very fine, too. I just found out today that the technique (I think) that Mucha used was a stencil method called pochoir. And guess what? In the course catalog for my upcoming class the description says it will cover "hand stencil techniques". I'd bet anything that pochoir is one of those techniques. This is the drawing I'm planning to use. Now that I see it on screen, I'll need to change a few things before I transfer it to a plate, and if you can't tell, there will be reflections of power lines in her eyes, and I'm thinking about maybe shadows of the lines across her face, but I'm not sure. The piece is called Cicada. It goes with the power lines, I swear.

2 comments:

Kesha Bruce said...

Hello Lynette--Just stopping by your blog for the first time.

Lovely work. Hope to see more soon!

Indigene said...

This sounds like it's going to be wonderful. It's shaping up!