Wednesday, May 25, 2022

The Way Back Machine


      Ive been going through sketchbooks and files to get myself kickstarted for the summer's art making. I've been away from it so long, it often feels like there is a parallel being in my studio who does things exactly as I like them done and has left me with all kinds of tools and images that will help me right now. I'm very grateful to her.
    This plate was one of my finds. It comes from my very first printmaking course with the awesome Scott Evans at Idaho State University, around 1991. At that time, it was printed as an embossment, on pure white paper and no ink. Time and poor storage added some interesting oxidation patterns to the surface, so I was curious to see if they would print if I inked it up, and they did! 
    Next, there are a couple of areas I'd like to smooth out with a file, and then, I think I'm going to play with those negative spaces with colors and maybe some sgrafitto. 
     What a nice way to get back into the swing of things.



 

No comments: