Thursday, June 13, 2019

Gold Leaf the Easy Way


     I'm not sure exactly what this paper is, but it was a beautiful and recent gift from my friend Kathy when I told her I was thinking about tackling gold leaf again. I love the rich look of the old gold leaf panel paintings, but I wasn't looking forward to to sanding the bole. I have a terrible time getting a smooth surface with it. Kathy very kindly offered this paper to me to try. I think it may be some sort of illumination paper. This is my practice sheet. I already mucked it up, because I didn't transfer the figure properly. But so far, the paper is accepting the paint and taking layers. I think it might work!


    This is the basis for the figure (that is missing) on the gold paper above. When I was at Wheatland (http://www.wheatlandmusic.org) a couple of years ago, there were many talented young buskers showing off their work. This is based on a little girl who had written her songs on a piece of paper and stood and sang them for anyone who would listen. How cool is that?

No comments: