Thursday, February 27, 2020

The struggle is real (but it's all good)


   This morning, even though there is a pile of other things to do, I closed the door and tried to pick up the thread of this piece. Except for this area, it is pretty much resolved (which is far different that being finished).
     I always struggle with 3/4 views, and I have two of them in this piece. Now that I see it here, I think I need to work on making the man's head not too parallel to the mom's. I should probably start adding pastel to the medium list for my paintings, because the drawing I do with it ends up being part of the color applied to it. 
    The other thing I'm struggling with is that I took so much care to keep the paint layers thin that now, I'm having trouble getting those thin layers to adhere to the surface. I'm considering spraying it with varnish to seal it a bit. I'll probably float the idea with my posse and see what they say.
   Anyway, it's all good. An update up the Tubman project is coming soon.

No comments: