Saturday, June 6, 2020

Plan B

Well, it's June, and while I'm usually in the mental state of my 9 year old self (making art, going outside and playing music like no one is watching), this year my mind is on the fall already. 
     Switching over to all online classes this spring was not a pleasure. Not having face to face lessons really sucked the joy out of teaching art, I can tell you that.
     Now, assuming I have classes to teach and we figure out ways to do it safely, I have to build in a Plan B for my classes, in case we have to go into quarantine again. Which means I have to have a way to teach color that will suit everyone, and it has to be sa medium students can easily do at home.
     To that end, I hauled off and ordered colored pencils for the class, instead of our normal route of pastels and watercolor. 
      Here's the rub: I don't know a lot about them. And, the books and videos I've seen don't discuss color theory, and so how they are creating the values doesn't match up with the rules I use everyday.
    Until, Ta Da! I found this book:


  The description says that it uses color like the Old Masters, which means there is an underpainting and shadows are constructed using complementary colors. Just what I've been looking for! I have to wait six more days to get it. But I think it will be my ticket to a coherent teaching strategy. And maybe a whole new medium for my personal work :)


No comments: