Saturday, November 7, 2020

That Round Painting and Lilith the Djinnia

 Well, I haven't posted in a long time. Teaching has taken every ounce of energy and creativity that I've had.

Every now and then I walk by that round painting, and I still think it is too pretty. But I haven't known how to change that. I may be making some progress on that front. 

During the nightmare of this semester, a theme of monsters has emerged, both from school assignments like the gargoyles I posted earlier, and from a friend's generous gift of Djinn stories, as well as a recommendation to listen to the podcast  The Hidden Djinn by Rabia Chaudry.

One of the references that has come up is that in some cultures, Lilith is considered to be a djinn. And she is usually incredibly beautiful. She is often painted as a spurned woman, but it seems to me that she is the one who refused to be dominated and was punished for it. I guess that would tend to make one cranky. 

So, I'm trying to think about how I could give the girl in the round painting an edge, to make her refer to the Dinija Lilith. I have one idea about it, but I'll save it until I get it worked out.

Maybe it takes some monsters to get us through this tough time. 

Please stay well and wear a 😷.

    


No comments: