Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Practice


My students have been working on a ceramics bas relief from imagery they took from Ferris' natural history museum, the Card-Riley Center. The pieces will be displayed along with their original source animal/plant/fish, as touchable art. I've done some work with ceramic clay before, but it has been a longgg time. As a refresher, I made this little  piece loosely based on an image I took under a pier in San Diego. Or it could have been La Jolla. I'm surprised at the level of detail you can get with this type of clay.
    The student's work looks great, and the next step for us, after the bisque firing, is to paint on the glazes. I wish I had a little more time and patience to fuss with this one, but I reckon it will do as a place to experiment with the glazes.

 

No comments: