Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Love, Loss and Drawing in the Age of AI

I've just about made up my mind to start posting again. 

For a little over a year, I've been on a journey of healing and recovery from a devastating loss. That loss, as well as some of my recent experiences in other cultural traditions, has changed pretty much everything.

Before this all happened, I was very concerned with the fast growth of AI, and its methods for culling images from the internet. As my dad would say, I think the horse is out of the barn with that issue, and it's really the way of the world now. 

Before all this happened, my life was open-ended, with vague expectations of how it should unfold. Now, there are definite ways in which it will not unfold. I wouldn't have chosen this path, but it has forced me to look at the paths that are left to me.

Now, I'm more conscious of what I will leave behind, and what my life will have amounted to.

Posting here will be some sort of proof. I don't have any enthusiasm for marketing, but it would be nice to know that my work can be found, if someone were looking for it. Even if they are only robots.

I have not been idle in my absence. At this point, I have nine new drawings to share, all in a fairly new medium for me. Working on them has been part of the process of folding this loss into my life on the way to creating a new one for myself. It's a painful process, but I have hope that one day I will again find some joy.

Pro tip: if you know someone who is grieving, give them a nice box of colors and some paper. It works wonders. That and a nice furry companion. I now have a tribe of five of them :) This is Miss Ripley, the Sprite.






No comments: