Friday, April 8, 2011

Ice Mountain

For IF: bottled

I swore I'd never publish this painting, but I'm such a glutton for blog hits and this one fits today's prompt bottled, even though you might not know it by looking at it.

Our community has been though a legal battle with the Nestle company, because they bought a piece of land, plopped a factory on it and proceeded to pump the ground water for their Ice Mountain bottled water. So they basically got their product for free at the expense of our wetlands and water table. It stinks, but as far as I know, the Nestle people's money was bigger and better than ours, so the factory stands.

During the heat of the argument, I made this painting. I was studying eastern Indian myths at the time and doing a demon series based on absorbing and learning from the dark side, seeking a balance. The goddess's hand gesture is one of warning. I don't use this painting because it has some unresolved technical issues and it kind of beats the issue with a stick, but again, I am a glutton for hits : ) I always liked the demon, though.

8 comments:

Goatsinger said...

I'm too much of a Benton fan to wrinkle my nose at political painting.

It's strong work -- and all the more because it's regional.

Lynette said...

Thanks Mike. What or who is Benton? (Sorry to be so clueless.)

Goatsinger said...

Thomas Hart Benton -- WP Artist, and a Regionalist, back in the day.

Lynette said...

OHHHH!!!! Sorry to be so thick! You had me, though; I didn't know about Regionalism. In that context, Benton really makes sense with what Rivera was doing. I think it is really difficult to make good political work that lasts, like they did.

I wrinkle my nose at this one every time!
Nice profile pic.

Ajikas said...

I like the dreamscape-iness of this painting. The checkerboard symbolism really works for the scenario you describe - dealing with big business. That really sucks that they took the water. Surrounded by demons, we pressed on...

Lynette said...

Thanks, Ajikas, for your kind words and your support. It seems like those aren't the only demons about these days...

Indigene said...

We should all have such technical difficulties! It's provocative and sends a strong message. But then, I'm biased about your work! :)

Mindful Drawing said...

There is so much in this painting. The mountains and the streams; the trees that need the water and the checker board battle field. Most of all the Goddess controlling and stamping down evil. Evil is always there, it is indeed a matter of controlling it.s
I wish you all well.
Paula