Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Dry Point Day 1

At the beginning of the day, I was surprised because no one wanted to make a print! Then, gradually, a few changed their minds and in the end, I'll have ten students printing tomorrow. Probably a good number to start a new project. A couple of them had really good drawings to work with, so we might get some good ones.
Switching over to teaching fine art has been an interesting experience. I have to admit I've been a bit clueless about how the change would affect me and my teaching. I guess I've always approached teaching drawing from a fine art point of view, because that's who I am. But now that I've done it for a year, I'm trying to think about how the course should truly be. The purpose of the course is to turn them on to art and art making, along with showing them some basic skills. I also want it to be fun, without doing a disservice to art.
In all, though, I think this has been a good change for me. So many things that I dearly loved have passed out of my life. There have been buckets of tears for these things. One of the lessons that I've learned is that impermanence is best embraced. Endings can be painful, but it's better to embrace the change and be in harmony with impermanence.
What if I made my next quilt out of the bike image, and then the next could be when she finally takes flight?

3 comments:

Coreopsis said...

Lynnette--in answer to your question on my blog, yes, I've tried printmaking. I LOVE print-making, and prints--both intaglio and lithographs--but don't have the time or facilities for it at the moment. I admire you for teaching it....

Lynette said...

I hear you! It takes a lot of "stuff" to print, but it is so addicting. My desire to teach it is purely selfish; it's just too much fun!

Marlene said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. I Love the bicycle and your quilt is going to be fabulous, such beautiful work.