Thursday, May 9, 2019

A Torus Knot?

   This showed up in my mailbox today. It was a gift from the student who started my math journey by encouraging me to stop flying by the seat of my pants and actually plot spatial relationships when drawing forms with linear perspective. I am forever grateful for his gentle nudge in that direction.
    I've been asking him about this shape, which I think is called a torus knot. I told him I didn't understand the geometry at all, but I was going to make one out of clay so I could just draw it the old fashioned way. The next day, he presented me with this 3D printed model so that it might 'sate my curiosity and then I would stop pestering him'. 😐
     But still, I love the gift. I think drawing elongated ellipses on three different planes will be a good place to start on this problem. And I've purchased Geometry for Dummies. So in the future, I can maybe keep my pestering to a minimum.


No comments: