Friday, November 29, 2019

SO much better


  I had a lovely text chat with the woman who posed for the image that will go on this canvas last night. We talked about how easy it is to get lost in duty and responsibilities and lose ourselves in the process. So, even though I'm swamped with all that, I snuck down to my studio to finally get this canvas right.
     
 My students never want to do anything more than once, but it is the secret to success. Besides being too loose, the canvas I used was pretty thin. This canvas is much thicker, and I broke out the stretching tool to make sure I was getting a tight fit. 


 
    It took some time, and some hand strength, but now I'm happy with it. It is pretty tight, and it reminded me of the ol' bouncing quarter trick. This is actually a Canadian dollar (I splurged), which I promptly lost on the floor. Think it counts?

   Next up: Gesso and the underpainting. I'm thinking of leaning toward the purples in this one.

No comments: