Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Updates

   Well, I'm back at school, but I am trying to fit some easel time in when I can. Yesterday, I was able to work for almost 20 minutes. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it was enough to settle myself and also to work on refining the shadows in the pregnancy painting. There is a lot of paperwork to do in the first week of the semester, so I'm hoping I will get more time on a regular basis. I think I will.
    In the meantime, my classes are doing a project based on the life of Harriet Tubman, a conductor on the Underground Railroad. Tubman escaped to freedom herself, and then went back to the plantations many times to help others escape. She also worked as a spy for the Union during the Civil War, as well as having duties as a nurse and a cook. She topped off her career with work as a suffragette and helped bring the 19th Amendment into being. My community and school are focusing on Tubman as part of the centennial celebration of the 19th Amendment. My students will be making silhouettes with Tubman as the subject. We are just getting started, but I will share their progress as it happens.
     In other news, litho is stalled, because Graphic Chemical has still not sent the very stiff Senefelder's ink that I ordered way back in November. We are stuck without it. I've called and inquired again, but I'm just about ready to cancel the order and get it from Takach.  I'd hate to do that, but I don't want to wait too much longer to print. I'm worried I will forget something about the process!
  

No comments: