Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Good golly Miss Molly...


...she sure loves to draw! Molly is my very dear friend who, in addition to being my partner in crime for many adventures, was and will always be one of my drawing teachers. Every year, Molly comes up to my house (we live a little ways apart) and we sit and catch up and draw for the day. She is coming this week, and because of Covid, we are masking and drawing outside, but at least we still get to do it!
    Last year, I was envying Molly's illustrations in colored pencil for a book of poetry about bugs that that she has been working on. Molly is a master drawer and illustrator. I'm pretty sure that statement included the sentence "I wish I could do that". Molly looked up and said, ok, here! Try it! And she proceeded to give me a lesson.
    This time, since I made the (hopefully not rash) decision to assign colored pencils for my ARTS 101 classes this fall, I'm going into our session prepared with my recent efforts so she can help me figure out where I'm going wrong, and a new drawing that I can work on under her supervision.
    The new one is another little sketch I did of the Wheatland Music Festival kid buskers. This guy helped himself to one of our folding chairs in front of our tent and started strumming away. He was playing with all his heart, but wasn't really making any chords. So, to save my sanity, I went over and taught him how to play an e minor chord. It made a big difference in the atmosphere around our tent, I can tell you that.
    The colored one is my practice attempt on copy paper. Molly will have her teaching work cut out for her!

No comments: