Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Tubman Exhibit is Up!


Well, in spite of heat in the 90's, all 18 decals are up and looking good. It took my partner and me (the excellent Carrie Weis, director of the Ferris Fine Art Gallery) three days to get the job done. Let's just say we learned a lot about decals in the process. Here are a few nuggets: vinyl stretches out of shape in extreme heat, a squeegee is a wonderful application tool, and a few bubbles are ok, since they can usually be erased with a straight pin and a nice soft cloth. 
    I think Carrie is going to post an online show on the Ferris Gallery website (Facebook page, maybe?). If she does, I will pass along a link.
    Carrie got the idea for this project started with her "She Persisted" theme in honor of the centennial of the 19th Amendment in the U.S., (women's right to vote). Then I got hooked up with Voca Lyrica, our local women's choir, because they were doing The Journey of Harriet Tubman by Ron Kean this season. The two combined to make this project happen. 
    I'm really happy that in a time that there is so much upheaval in my country, my students were able to create images that celebrate a truly persistent African American hero, Harriet Tubman. Harriet spent her adult life helping others and never gave up finding ways to do it. I reckon if we all took a page from her book, the world would be a better place.

No comments: