Thursday, December 16, 2021

The Next New Thing


This is not my hand, nor is it my artwork, but boy, is the technology used to print this model tempting. The level of detail is amazing, and the printers and materials used in this type of printing are not that expensive. That, combined with department money that is burning a hole in my pocket, is tempting me to take the plunge into 3D resin printing. 
     The one thing that is holding me back are the environmental and safety issues that come along with the resin and curing process. I'm just starting to learn about the printers and materials, but my understanding is that the resins are quite toxic in their liquid state. In a school setting where things you'd rather not have happen will happen, I'll have to figure out how to make it safe in our shop and also how to dispose of waste safely. 
    The good news is that after the resin is cured, it is harmless. Also, there are some brands of resin that are made from plant matter, so it should be compostable. (In our nice new Mantis Composter!)
     I still have a lot of questions and logistical issues to solve before I commit, but I have a feeling this Pandora's box has already been opened. 
     



 

No comments: