Saturday, October 5, 2019

Look what I got :)


     Well, I'm being held captive by a mountain of grading, but I'm being kept alive by sneaking to my easel or marimba for a few minutes during breaks. Two classes to go and then I can get some work done.
     In the meantime, look at this! Our excellent student assistant 3D printed this for me after I mentioned that if I ever get a stone grained to level, I would probably draw the knot as a first litho in the shop. I've been turning this over and over in my hands to try to get it to match up with the first one, but now that I see it here, I think it is a mirror image of the simpler version. I love the complexity of it; I could get lost in all of those negative shapes. Plus, the cast shadows are amazing. I think I'll grain that stone with the ultra fine #5 grit (which makes no sense, because all the other grits are numbered in the 2 and 3 digit range, but whatever). It's fun when you can imagine how something will look before you even start it.
    I've also recently realized a mistake I made in drawing the first one, which is that I based it on a cube and it isn't one. I haven't actually measured the proportions yet, but my guess it is more like half a cube. What do you call that?

No comments: