Thursday, January 7, 2021

David Lynch and Sunshine Yellow


Lately, I've been watching David Lynch's daily Weather Report. Today, he referenced George Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps and then went right back to talking about temperatures and golden sunshine. Here are some lyrics from the song:

 I look from the wings

At the play you are staging

While my guitar gently weeps

Those seemed like really appropriate words for today.


     Such as it is, I'm pretty much done with this little drawing. I grew up spending my summers at a beautiful aqua-blue lake. I didn't have boat shoes, but I did have a little blue rowboat, and in it, I explored every inch of the lake where I was allowed to go. I've been craving that sunshine. For right now, this is the next best thing.

I'm surprised to find that my color theory habits are changing because of the Prismacolor complete set. It has been a while since I've been excited about that kind of discovery. When I paint, I usually keep to a pretty limited palette, and I mix most of the colors. It is pretty rare for me to use paint straight from the tube. But with this set, there are so many colors to choose from, all I have to do is match the color I see and find it in the set, rather than having to make it myself. Plus, the names of the colors are actually helpful. I was looking for a yellow to brighten up this sky, and I found one call "Sunshine Yellow" that was perfect. 

I really liked having the ochre color to work with on the surface, but I wasn't a fan of the texture of the paper. I think that next, I'll try putting a watercolor wash over some Bristol board and try the colored pencils over that. What I'd really like to have is some illustration board that has a colored surface, but so far, I haven't found any. It's good to stay hungry, though, right?

 

    


 

No comments: