Sunday, January 31, 2021

Story Time



I finally got a little studio time today, so I tidied up this little drawing and transferred it onto the new illustration board. The gold of the board is a lot deeper in person. We'll see how it looks. This is a first bit of the value study that will help me get started with the colors. I am going at a snail's pace, as usual.
   
   This piece is reminding me of a story I read when I was very young. It might have been an Inuit story, but I'm not sure. It was set in a place where women were scarce, and men would fight over them. Once, during such a fight, the two men pulled the woman between them, one at her feet and the other at her arms. They pulled her completely in two, and each man carved a new half for her out of wood. And that is why some women can dance and others are gifted with their hands. I would love to find that story again.
   
 

 

No comments: