Saturday, October 2, 2021

Monotypes



A few months ago, a tall, charming friend suggested that I might like Marcel Proust's Swann's Way. Even though I'm terribly slow at reading it, I think my friend might be right. I just passed the point in the novel where Marcel, the narrator of the story, experiences doubt about his ability to be an artist, but then is inspired by the spires in his town and is overtaken by the need to write about it, proving that he is an artist after all.
    I was reminded of it today, because recently, as a result of pouring all of my energy into keeping my classes on an even keel, I haven't felt like much of an artist. But, because I have a student who wants to try mono printing on Monday, I thought I should do a few, just to refresh my memory. 
     For lack of a better idea, I did a series of four images, all based on how my hair is showing signs of distress from all the pool swimming I did this summer. I intended to only formalize a few steps for my student, but I ended up being in the zone for a couple of hours. It felt really good, "as though I myself were a hen and had just laid an egg" as Marcel describes it.
    The images are pretty rough, as it is a fairly new technique for me. But I can see the potential. I think I will do this again. Now that I see them here, they look like they could be illustrations for a horror film. It is a good time of year for it.
 

No comments: