Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Tossing the dice

       Today was another hard day of technical triage in the classroom, and it may well be the day that made me call the two classroom solution quits. 
        
        I'm realizing that the situation is sucking the joy out of a job I (used to) love. And I have a suspicion that nobody but me is very concerned about anyone's safety. Plus, I think the stress will probably kill me before the virus does (I am fully vaccinated and am religious about mask wearing). 
     So tomorrow, I am bringing them all back into one classroom. Because the stress just isn't worth it. I really hope they are all vaccinated. We'll see how it goes. If they want to keep the two classrooms, I will agree. With the understanding that everything is hard and takes longer.
        On the bright side, in the process of the day and the technical frustration, I asked for a student assistant and got one! Initially, I meant for him to be boots on the ground to keep me informed about the classroom connectivity. Since I might not need him for that, now he will be free to help me with the other things I never seem to get to, like organizing store rooms and the sculpture shop. And he could also operate the 3D scanner and printer. So, even though going back to one classroom is technically a fail, I still ended up with a win :)
    And now, maybe I can get back to teaching normally. Carefully, behind a mask. 

No comments: